Sunday, July 15, 2012

Me, in a nutshell

Because I am new to blogging, and lack the patience to really explore all of the functions of blogger site, I can't seem to figure out how to put an "About Me" on the site beyond the simple little Google+ profile.  So, I'll just put it here.

I assume that most people reading this know me, but on the off chance that some unsuspecting stranger has stumbled upon this site, I am Shanon Schimpf. Though I am 34 years old, the biggest events in my life have all occurred in the past decade, so we'll start there...

In 2001, I married Elliott. I was so surprised that someone had seen me at my absolute craziest (and not the good kind, folks. I mean the "oh my stars, that girl has lost her mind" kind of crazy) and still loved me and wanted to marry me! So, on March 10, after 2 1/2 years of dating, we got married.


2 1/2 years after we got married, we were blessed with our first beautiful baby, Gracie. She is such an awesome little girl. Super smart and so creative (can you tell I'm a little biased?). I cannot imagine life without her.

 As much as we loved this beautiful little girl, we knew something was missing. That void was filled 4 1/2 years later in the form of our rowdy little Matthew.  He is now 4 years old and is definitely all boy. He is rowdy, unruly, and prone to fits. But he is also sweet, cuddly, and loves his momma!
We definitely had our fair share of ups and downs, and life was by no means "perfect" (after all, whose is?). But for the most part, we were a happy family who loved each other very much.

Then, on July 23, 2011, our world came crashing down.  Elliott had been working at my dad's house, building an outdoor kitchen. The kids and I drove over that afternoon to spend some time in my dad's pool, and to hang out with Elliott.  He wrapped up working early in the afternoon, and spent some time in the pool and, as is typical at my dad's house, a big group gathered. We visited, ate, and had an all around great time. The kids and I left to head home and Elliott was to be not far behind us.  We had no idea that that would be the last time we would be together as a family.  Elliott was in a fatal car accident that night. And in an instant, our happy family of four became our little lost family of three. We never imagined that we would say good-bye to a husband at 33 and to a daddy at 7 and 3. 

It's been nearly a year and the kids and I learn a little more each day about what our new "normal" looks like. I learn a little more about what being a single mom is like each day. The kids are learning to adjust to life with just one earthly parent, and are doing pretty good. Each day, we get a little bit stronger.

My purpose of this blog is not to evoke sympathy, but to give everyone a little insight into our world these days. While we always invite and covet the prayers of our friends and loved ones, we are growing stronger each and every day, so "don't cry for me, Argentina" (I couldn't help myself, it was getting a little too serious, don't you think? - that's another little thing about me, I use humor at inappropriate times to cut the tension).

That's us in a nutshell.  A momma and her two babies growing stronger each and every day as we seek God's will in our lives. Thanks for coming along for the ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment