Saturday, July 14, 2012

Friends, food, and ferocious fits

I had the chance tonight to go to dinner with friends I haven't seen in many years. I was so excited! I haven't seen Nikki in a year, and it had been even longer since I had seen Jennifer & Jason, and about 7 years since I had seen Mark & Christina. So I was of course thrilled at the chance to meet them for dinner, kids included. 
Now, anyone who knows my kids knows that Matthew is prone to tantrums.  I was apprehensive about taking him with me, but wanted to go and the invitation included kids. I was hopeful that maybe, just maybe, he could make it through the evening. So I loaded up the kids and headed to the Boardwalk.
Things were smooth-sailing and I, in my ignorant bliss, was actually hopeful that we might have a nice night. Gracie was well-behaved, as always, and Matthew seemed to be following suit. It all changed in a moment.
Matthew: I have to go the bathroom
Gracie: I'll take him!
Me (pensively): Okay...

Within 2 minutes a lady came up to the table and asked if I had a little boy and girl in the bathroom.  Uh oh!  Would it be wrong of me to say no?  Fearing that it would, in fact, be wrong to say no, I admitted that they were mine.  It seemed that Matthew was having a massive meltdown in the bathroom because he didn't want Gracie with him. Though he calmed down a little bit by the time we made it back to the table, the night never returned to its pre-tantrum bliss. 

Maybe we'll have better luck next time. Here's to being hopeful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment